Wednesday, June 21

Toe up socks

I had a little break from sock making...but I'm back :)

This is my first attept at knitting socks from the toe up. Normally, I would knit socks from the cuff down - it is generally easier to do it this way.

The advantages of knitting from the toe up are that you can better judge the length of the foot and when to start the heel (it is a bit of guess work when knitting the traditional way because you need to decrease over a number of rows to shape the toe).

I have looked at other (more complicated) patterns for knitting toe up and was "scared off" by them. Recently, I bought a new book - Sensational Knitted Socks - which has several variations for knitting socks.

I am knitting a five stitch pattern called "yarn over cable" and have used the "easy toe" with a provisional cast on (another first!)

I am really liking how this toe is formed.

Yarn is Opal Sock Yarn in Dreamcatcher shade 1231 (yellow,pink & blue)



Toe - from the top showing yarn over cable pattern

Toe side view - showing increases

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the color is beautiful. The cables look great! I have never made socks from the toe up, my next challenge is making two on two circulars.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Wow - what a pretty pattern!

Personally, I'm a big fan of toe-up socks. I usually make them that way.

And I keep hearing about this "easy toe" - is there an explanation online somewhere?

5:15 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

These look great!!! I want to learn toe up one day, I think it helps when you dont have that much yarn, you will always have the foot done and the cuff will be the rest of the yarn.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Very nice!! One day..I'll do toe up! :)

4:12 PM  
Blogger String Bean said...

I love the colorway! What's with the 'easy-toe'? I'd like to know how to do that. I've never done toe-up, but I shall one day.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home