Thursday, June 29

First post, but not first sock

Howdy everyone! I'm happy to get in on your knit-along. This is my current sock. I just turned the heel on its mate. I'm knitting it cuff-down on Size 2 dpns. The yarn is Fortissima Socka. I'm knitting these socks for my mom, who likes long cuffs, so when I saw how much yarn I had left, I went back and took out my cast-on row and knit upward, finishing with a tubular bind-off.

This is my fourth attempt at socks, and my second successful pair. Between first socks and this were the victim of the great sock-boiling tragedy of aught-five and a victim of Magic Loop frustration.

"Sock-boiling tragedy?" you ask. Yes, it's a sad tale. A friend who wears an ankle brace asked me to make her a toeless sock to wear as padding -- much like the pedicure socks in the current Knitty. I knitted the thing three times, but each time, the sizing was off. Finally, she said it fit. She was fibbing, but she didn't want me to keep ripping it out. She decided to shrink the sock herself, with some ill-formed notion that hot water would do the trick. She put the sock in a pot of water on the stove.


Some time later ... sniff, sniff ... "What's burning?"

I have since instructed friend that she can find cheap six-packs of athletic socks at Wal-Mart and cut off the toes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

YIKES!! That sock looks like it's been thru the war!!!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

EEK..so sad!

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home