Tuesday, April 11

Can someone be a sock virgin?

If so, then I am. I've always hated the socks my mother knit me, having to try them on for size with the needles sticking everywhere, having to wear another pair of socks underneath because of the wool that was in the yarn, not being able to wear any shoes any more because they got too tight, the boring colours, the list goes on and on.
I tried to knit socks myself once, I managed to knit about an inch of the cuff and then I stopped because I hated knitting with about a million needles in my hands. So I swore I was going to stay a sock virgin, I was never going to knit any socks.

Now here I am, in a sock knitalong, all excited to get going. What changed my mind? Three things actually:
1. I found out that you can knit in the round without having to use dpns (Why didn't anybody tell me THAT before?)
2. I read the article on knitty.com how you can knit toe up socks without a seam (I HATE seaming, and I very much like the idea of doing toe up socks)
3. I have found sock yarn without wool in it on ebay (hooray for ebay!).

I've started on a practice sock with some left-over yarn I had. It won't make a sock I can use, but I just had to start, I couldn't wait...
Now I will only have to wait for my sock yarn to arrive and I have to find out how to turn the heel.

So I guess I'm losing my virginity after all...


4 Comments:

Blogger Beck said...

Good for you!

3:18 AM  
Blogger String Bean said...

Isn't it fun? I remember when I lost my virginity. It was confusing and over way too fast ... but we're talking about socks here.

11:02 AM  
Blogger enallagma9 said...

Ah, a new spring romance (I'm assuming you're in the Northern Hemisphere here)! Isn't it lovely? Just makes you feel tingly all over and want to get your hair cut and buy frilly new underwear and lie around in bed all day knitting. Or something like that ;~)

Enjoy!

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Leanne NZ said...

Hi

I have found your blog,

I thank you for helping me come out of the closet I too am a sock virign.

Leanne New Zealand
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/TheGoodLife/

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home