Sunday, March 26

I finally started!

Yes, that's right, I casted on my very first sock, and am on my way to knitting this lovely kilt hose for my boyfriend. Here I introduce you to (also my very first) the short row toe:



I am using a "generic" white aran 3/5 Nm yarn, from bluefaced leicester wool that is so soft and nice to work with. It doesn't split and knits up easily. Also, knitted on 2.5mm (US 1.5) needles it gives a stiff and sturdy fabric that softens up after washing, exactly what I was looking for. Yes, I swatched (sock-style, knit one row, move to the other end of the needle, carry your yarn along, knit next row. alsmot like a giant I-cord but leaving the yarn loose) and washed it to make sure the gauge was right and the fabric would be nice against the skin.

I'll keep you updated!

6 Comments:

Blogger kraftygirl said...

Wow! I have not tried toe up socks yet, yours looks great!

10:56 AM  
Blogger String Bean said...

I can't wait to see more of the hose. What's the purple bit for?

2:47 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

That short row toe looks nice. I want to try some toe up socks. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed pair!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Sade said...

Thank you all!

It looks harder than it actually is, just follow the instructions.

String Bean, the purple bit is my provisional cast on - it was the only yarn in the same weight I had at hand.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Wow, nice job there, 1st one?? Cool! Thanks for explaining the swatching in the round! I can understand it better now :)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Sade said...

Yup, very first sock in my life! I'll put a pic of the swatch on my blog - check it out, I'm making more updates there, so I don't bore you with my lots of pics and talk! ;)

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home